You’ve found the best place to look for a free drawing app for Mac. Only the most effective sketching programs, including a Microsoft Paint (MS) substitute, made the list after we eliminated the garbage. Let’s examine the top free drawing programs for Mac OS.
1. Free Preview App on Mac
MacOS Mojave 10.14 or later is needed for this system.
Best for: Home users who need to do simple picture and PDF editing and annotating
- Converts images is possible
- enables editing of PDF
- removes the backdrop from photographs.
- allows bulk conversion of images
- Resizes images is possible
The majority of the programs on this list are adaptable tools, and GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) is no exception. GIMP provides the goods whether you’re sketching, altering pictures, or seeking for a free Photoshop substitute.
Although the program may seem complicated at first appearance, conducting fundamental activities is often simple because to the user interface. However, if you need to carry out more complex operations, the solutions aren’t always clear-cut. Fortunately, there are a ton of tutorials available online, and once you get the hang of the program, GIMP becomes a potent sketching and editing tool.
The highlights of GIMP include:
- Excellent for graphic design, picture editing, and other activities
- Large number of features, from simple to sophisticated
- Installable plugins for more extensive customization
- Online lessons abound to assist you in learning the app.
- Support across platforms
If you need flexibility and capability in your drawing software and don’t mind investing the time to master a challenging program, GIMP is the best option.
Another useful tool that matches others in functionality and outperforms many others in terms of intuitiveness is Krita. Learning complex functionalities is easy because to the user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing interface. Krita allows you to make animations as well. There are several tutorials available that may answer your queries if you find yourself unable to complete an activity.
Although Krita has capabilities for manipulating images, its creators mainly promote the program as a drawing app, therefore they pay close attention to artists’ tools.
Krita’s finest attributes are:
- Logical and useful user interface
- A lot of high-quality brushes
- Lots of helpful tools for artists
- Adaptable design
- Support across platforms
If you need a useful, adaptable, and simple drawing program for your Mac, Krita is ideal. If you’re having trouble choosing between the top two programs on the list, check out our post comparing GIMP vs Krita to see which one is the greatest Photoshop substitute.
Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or later is required.
Best for: Novices who wish to do simple picture editing tasks like cropping, annotating, etc.
- Can open images in practically all popular file types, including JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PNG, and BMP.
- Able to open files with Alpha Channel in PNG and GIF for photographs
- Provides simple tools for editing and sketching.
5. MediBang Paint
One of the best free drawing applications available is MediBang Paint. With a variety of practical artist tools and a cloud storage option, the software makes cross-platform usage simple.
MediBang Paint is straightforward even if it doesn’t have as many features as some other programs, and the creators are often adding new lessons to the main website to assist you learn how to use the program. If you want a user-friendly and straightforward app.
The highlights of MediBang Paint include:
- A lot of art supplies
- Slick, user-friendly interface
- There are several tutorials online.
- Online storage
- Compatibility for several platforms, including iOS and Android
If you need to access your work from any location and want a straightforward sketching experience, MediBang Paint is ideal.